Thursday, June 18, 2009


Tips on using Curl Junkie Aloe Fix Hair Styling Gel

Hi Guys! I just thought I'd do a quick post here since I've been getting a lot of questions on how to use the Aloe Fix gel and thought this would be a good place to offer suggestions! These recommendations are inspired by things I've tried, as well as by the way some of my customers are using it (and I have also tried out). I'm sure there are many other combos out there that I haven't tried (and so please feel free to send me comments with your suggestions to post for those who are looking...), but these are the ones that stood out to me...

For the sake of making this as easy as possible, I'll just stick with the 2, 3, 4, a, b, c system which most of my customers are familiar with:

1)2a-b, (
basically wavy hair types of all textures): The Aloe Fix gel seems to work best with a small amount of a lightweight leave-in applied/smoothed through and then the gel scrunched into the hair. This helps to create volume in the hair.

2)2c, 3a (very wavy hair and those with bigger, looser curls): The gel seems to work best when applied/scrunched (if you want volume) over the Curl Assurance Leave-in (or similar leave-in of your choice) or the CoffeeCoco Curl Creme (use only a small amount) and followed with a touch of a harder holding gel of your choice if desired.

3)3b (Botticelli curls) and 3c (tighter curls of fine-normal density): This hair type can try out the suggestions above for the 2c, 3a or the following (which I just tested out this morning)...not to plug another product, but it seems to work so well with the CoffeeCoco and Aloe Fix for this hair type that I have to say it...Try using Curl Rehab or Lustrasilk as a leave-in, followed by smoothing in (or brushing in, with a Denman-type brush) the CoffeeCoco and then the Aloe Fix (if you want extra hold and definition...this is optional). This is an awesome combo! I don't know if I'd recommend doing this everyday as you may end up overconditioned using the Lustrasilk everyday with this combo (in which case you could alternate with the Curl Assurance Leave-in or other lightweight leave-in or nothing at all!)...I should also say that I'd only recommend this for folks with dry hair since it may be product overkill otherwise. So if your hair tends to be oily or is very fine, stick with the recs for 2c, 3a hair...I'm sure folks will chime in on this combo...

4)3c (very tight curls, normal-coarse density) and 4a (very tight curls/coils): If you are looking for curl definition and to stretch out your curl pattern, I'd recommend that you apply this directly to the hair without using any other product underneath. You can either smooth it in section by section with your hands or brush it in. Use generous amounts of product and make sure to cover all sections of hair. You can air dry, diffuse or sit under a hooded dryer.

5)4b (z pattern hair): This gel would be best for this type when slicking/pulling back the hair into a ponytail or with a headband. Apply to wet hair and smooth with hands or a brush into the desired style.

BTW-if you cannot find a combo that works for you on wet hair, this product is fabulous to use on dry hair (if I do say so myself :-P ). On dry hair, it smooths surface frizzies and helps to define curls!

Hope this helps!! :-)

2 comments:

  1. I just want to say that I'm sooooo excited that this worked for me! There was no learning curve and my hair just loves it! I need a blob of hard hold gel for my volatile waves so I was so glad to see beforehand that it was OK to do this! On 2nd day I mixed equal parts of AF with a hard hold gel smoothed over lightly spritzed hair. FABULOUS I love AF and will continue to try the rest of CJ line. Thank you Marsha!

    July 8, 2009 2:16 PM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    I love the Aloe Fix gel!I like to use this gel on my two strand twist-outs, and for my wash and go days.I've only tried this gel with the CoffeeCoco leave-in and my hair loves it.My twist-outs ALWAYS look so amazing with this gel.For my wash and go days I apply this gel to super drenched hair, and curls I never knew I had appear. On day two hair I refresh my curls with water,curl fuel or my curl theroy leave-in(thank-U Marsha)....I Love This Gel.
    Khytish G

    ReplyDelete